Friday, June 17, 2011

Say what?

Question: Do you ever hear anything pleasant about the term "P90X?" Let me give you a listing of the terms or phrases I most often hear when people discuss this work out program -- a program that has a name that sounds like it belongs in tattoo form on the back of a WWE/WWF guy's bald head, (and only sounds cool to guys who have man crushes on Vin Diesel and love movies like Fast and the Furious). Anyway, when I hear people talk P90X, I hear things like:

1) 'horrible'
2) 'painful'
3) "I can't walk today"
4) "I can only eat twigs and berries with a little bit of water on top -- at least til I get to phase II"
5) "Don't make me laugh, I did P90X last night and my stomach feels like it has knives jabbing through it."

So, when I was meeting with my new trainer, Jocelyn (who will be great, I think) and Traci (one of the best gals around) and they looked at each other during my elliptical journey and said, "Yeah, for stomach work outs for Ethan, lets have him do a couple P90X things." They were all smiling and winking at each other. I was like, "I'd rather you take real knives and jab me a few times in my belly instead (knowing the depth of the knife wounds would not penetrate the abnormally thick layer of adipose tissue and reach any internal organs)."


As they both thought of putting me through this, I could tell they were giving each other virtual high fives, followed with virtual fist bumps that are met with an audible (Fast and the Furious-like) explosion sound. People who like P90X think the fist-bump + explosion-sound combo is cool. 

Not sure if I made my point. But I don't like thinking about doing any sort of P90X stuff. Not at all.

But I'll do it. It will be good for me. I'll be healthier and happier as a result -- in the end, right?

I feel super lucky to be on board. And super fortunate to have a spouse who supports me in the effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment